Tuesday, June 21, 2016

My perspective of the day of the Surgery

Tuesday June 21, 2016

Morning of Surgery
Wow, so the day has actually arrived! It is crazy because I have waited literally more than a year knowing this day would come. Unfortunatley, I woke up early at 7:30 and I don’t have to leave the house until 11:15 so I have time to kill. I have read a bit and finished watching a movie but my focus on other things is low while I try to keep myself occupied. I painted my nails red for good luck so hopefully I am allowed to have my nails painted. I am going to have my mom braid my hair in two pig tails and then I am wearing my favorite sweatpants and sweat jacket. I am nervous and I feel like I am getting tingling in my arms... it is kind of weird. Also, I have sneezed a lot this morning. But all in all life is good and I am ready to get this surgery done! I keep reminding myself as long as I am asleep I will be fine. Anyway, I do not have too much too say so wish me the best of luck and I will update the blog as soon as possible! Oh and my mom will take many pictures of me so everyone can see what I look like through the whole process. :) 

At home before surgery.


In the pre-op room, I changed into surgery clothes (gown, robe, underwear, and socks), they gave me a warm blanket and I sat in a comfy chair. I had a really nice nurse and my parents asked questions and signed papers.  I got a needle in my arm (numbing needle hurt the most but did feel actual IV). The anesthesiologist came in to introduce himself. He was very friendly and comforting. Two nurses introduced themselves to me and one nurse came in because she had a granddaughter that was adopted from China, too. Finally, Dr. Gollehon came in, logged into surgery computer and answered our questions.
























A nice man walked me to the surgical room. In the surgery room, they connected a wire to my arm. I laid down and looked at the giant lights above. I told a lady nurse I really wanted to make sure I was asleep before the surgery started. She said "Don't worry that's my job and I won't get paid if I don't." She said she would start the medicine and I totally do not remember anything else,  I was completely out. Next thing I do remember is waking up in the recovery room.









After Surgery
When I woke up from my anesthesia in recovery I could not stop whining and crying because I was in a lot of pain.  My throat was so dry it hurt. Also, the ice packs were placed around my lower jaw, but it was my upper jaw and nose area that needed the ice. When I was more awake I was rolled to my overnight room where my parents met me. It is very nice, the bed is so comfortable and can be moved to elevate my head. I slept a bunch and eventually after the morphine kicked in the pain just became discomfort. My face feels super numb and fat.  My dad and I are watching soccer on TV. I got a small nose bleed in my left nostril after using nose drops. I will be using nose drops and other medicines to keep from getting a cold and having sinus issues during my recovery.  I have a leg vibrator machine that feels good. It encourages my blood circulation and was in the surgical room, too. I am taking fluids. At this stage, I must try to drink water through a syringe. The nurses are recording how much I take to ensure I stay hydrated. The water makes my throat feel so much better.  I am able to drink much more water than they even expected me to drink. I got medicine for my lips to keep the swelling down. My nurse is so nice like all the other nurses. When I move my head just a little I get super dizzy and get a headache feeling.




No comments:

Post a Comment